Jones, John – platelayer – 1901

August 23rd – Killed on the railway at Nantyderry

Such was the fate of John Jones, 39, platelayer in the employ of GWR Co., who was knocked down by the 8.50 goods train from Pontypool Road to Wolverhampton, on Friday morning last.
It appeared that deceased, with other platelayers, including Evan Morris, the foreman, had had breakfast together in a cabin by the line.
They afterwards left to resume duty and had proceeded a little way up the line, but deceased, having forgotten something, returned. It was when returning that he got knocked down by the buffer of the passing train and was instantly killed.
Deceased, it is stated was born in Marshfield, Cardiff, he had no relative in this country but about nine years ago a sister paid him a visit and then left for Australia. Deceased had been in the district of Goytre and Llanvair Kilgeddin for the past thirty years.

The inquest was held at the waiting room at Nantyderry Station before Mr C Dauncey, Coroner.
The first witness was David Morgan, Road Farm, Goytre, who stated deceased had lived with him for the past nine years. He left his house at about 5 am to go to work. Witness did not see him alive again.
Evan Morris, foreman platelayer, said he shouted to deceased when when the latter was returning to the cabin. He could not say if deceased heard him but he was stepping from the four-foot way into the six-foot when he was struck on the head by the buffer and knocked down. Deceased was dead when witness picked him up, immediately after the accident.
In reply to the Coroner witness said he thought the cabin was in a dangerous place and would suit a better purpose if it was placed on the other side.
Francis Phillips and David Jones, platelayers, corroborated.
Driver Richard Hughes, said the goods train was composed of twenty nine wagons, they were not going fast at Nantyderry. He did not see the deceased, but blew the whistle on approach to the station. He saw three men standing on the down line.
Harry Jones, fireman said, he heard someone shout and the train was stopped. The guard, John Mase, went back and found that deceased was dead. John Mase, guard, also gave evidence.
The jury returned a verdict of “Accidental Death,” and added a rider requesting the GWR Co., to remove the cabin from it’s present position to a safer spot.

The Funeral
The internment took place on Sunday, at the Parish Church. A large number of the inhabitants attended.
The deceased, having no relatives in this country, the expenses were borne by Mr Codrington Crawshay, Mr Sawyer, the station master and deceased fellow platelayers.



For any comments or suggestions regarding this item please use the Contact tab at the top of the page.