Bridge – 480 on the 1841 Tithe Map.
According to the 1841 tithe and census, Bridge was owned and occupied by William Jenkins, a farmer aged 45, Mary his wife also aged 45, and children Mary 12, Thomas 6, and Daniel Oates aged 8.
In 1850 William Jenkins is a collector of land tax and in 1851 he was overseer of the poor saying he lived by canal bridge number 83.
He was farming 19 acres in 1851 and 61 years of age.
The 1861 census is missing for the part of the parish that included Bridge. By 1871 Ann Watkins 58, a widow, was now at Bridge along with Sarah Jenkins 64, also a widow, and two lodgers William Waters 40, a labourer, and William Harris 50, a woolshaver.
At some time between 1871 and 1881 the Hewlett family moved into Bridge, Richard is aged 26 and a farmer of 26 acres and born in Glamorgan, Sarah his wife is 25, born llangwm, and their children Alice 2 and Arthur 6 months are born in Goytre, also living with them is Alice Jenkins 60, his mother- in-law, Adelaide Jenkins 23, his sister-in-law, and Sidney Jenkins 12, his brother-in-law.
By 1901 Edward Owen, a shoemaker had moved into Bridge, he was aged 58 and came from Blaenavon, his wife Harriet was 55, born in Pontypool.
In 1921, 8 years old Reggie Williams, son of David, died and was buried at St Peter’s.
The last entry is for Oswald Court aged 61, with his wife Ruth (nee Rosser) living at Bridge.
For any comments or suggestions regarding this item please use the Contact tab at the top of the page.