Beech Cottage No. 1.
On the 6th February 1860 William Jenkins of Bridge Farm sold to Richard Williams of Llanvihangel, Pontymoile “a piece of orchard land or pound, situate or lying in the parish of Goytre and adjoining 40 perches (more or less) together with two messuages or dwelling houses in course of construction theron, adjoining other part of the orchard belonging to one William Jenkins.”
On the 2nd April 1860 Richard Williams took a £100 mortgage to finance the build from Mary Watkins.
In 1867 Richard Williams sold to Thomas Watkins “the property leading from the canal to Pantygoitre and the cottage and garden of Thomas Lewis on all or most parts and sides, appurtenances granted and conveyed unto the use of Thomas and Margaret Watkins.”
On the 1871 census Richard was aged 33 and a labourer, born in Mamhilad, his wife is not mentioned but his children are Martha 11, John 9, and Rachel 6.
Richard continued to live at Beech Cottages, he was a roadman. In 1891, living with him is his married daughter Martha who had married Edwin Williams a flannel weaver, he was born in Usk and they had a one year old daughter, Elizabeth.
On the 21st January 1897 Richard was admitted to the Pontypool Union, (I can’t find his release date) but on the 1901 census he was aged 73, a road repairer, living with him is his daughter Elizabeth Jenkins then aged 38.
By 1907 Beech cottage had a new occupier, one Walter Lawrence, a builder. His wife was Rose May ( Rosser). Their children, Ivy, Olive, Rose and Jesse were all baptised on the 13th February 1907 at St Peter’s Church.
At this time the owner was John Williams of Estavarney, Blaenavon, the rateable value was £3 15s, the gross value was £5.
In 1911 Walter May and his family were living at Beech Cottage number 1, he was aged 34, a house carpenter (journeyman), born in Fulham. His wife Rose was 36 and born in Chelsea. They had been married 12 years, and had 5 children, all alive, Olive 10, Rose 9, Ivy 6, Iris 4 and Cyril 1.
On the 1914 poor rate John Williams is still the owner and William James was the occupier.
By 1920 the occupier was John Robert Rosser and his wife May. The same year May died and was buried at St Peter’s Church on the 4th November.
For any comments or suggestions regarding this item please use the Contact tab at the top of the page.