Upper House – Ty Newydd.
330 on the 1841 Tithe Map.
The owner of Upper House was the Earl of Abergavenny, containing 3a 2r 12p. The fields were Far field; Little field; Orchard; Cottage and garden; Cae Scybor and paying 10s 9d to the Rector.
The tenant holding the lease in 1759 was James Prosser, he was an overseer of the poor for the parish.
By 1815 Thomas Prosser, son of James, was constable for his lands. In 1831 his daughter Catherine married John Griffiths at St Peter’s, Thomas and Ann Prosser were witnesses.
The census of 1841 says that living at Upper House were Thomas Prosser a 61 year old farmer, Mary his wife, four year old Thomas Prosser, son-in-law John Griffiths a 30 year old labourer, their daughter Catherine and their three children, Eliza 9, Mary 6 and 7 month old John.
Thomas Prosser voted against the police, as did most of the parish in 1850, his details were given as living near canal bridge number 83.
On the 1851 census Thomas is a widower, he is 75 years old, a farmer of 20 acres and was born in Goytre, living with him is his 15 year old grandson Thomas.
Son Thomas Prosser is mentioned in 1867 as overseer of the poor for the Upper House. Thomas is occupying the property in 1871, he is 34 and a labourer, Ann, his wife is 44. In April 1878 their daughter Mary Ann died aged 17, she was buried at Saron Chapel churchyard.
By 1881 they have 4 children, Francis 18, Rees 16, Rachel 14 and 11 year old Levi. By 1891 Thomas and Ann are living on their own, in October 1894 their daughter Rachel married Alan Hanbury at Saron Chapel.
Thomas’s wife Ann died in July 1896 and was buried at Saron Chapel.
Two colliers stole fowls from Francis in March 1900 and ended up in court for their misdeeds.
By the time of the 1901 census Francis is now at the Upper House with his wife Rebecka, he is aged 38 and Rebecka is 30, by 1911 they have three children, Horace 8, Eunice 5 and one year old Harold.
In 1920 the Earl of Abergavenny sold most of his land and property in the parish, adjoining Upper House were three lots:
Lot 1. 2a 4p let at £2 – tithe 5s 8d sold to Francis Prosser for £140.
Lot 2. 1a 2r 28p adjoining lot 1. At 1s 10d tithe sold to Francis Prosser for £60.
Lot 3. An old garden and pasture, orchard, known as Prosser’s land, 2r 12p let at £1, tithe 2s 5d for £110.
Francis paid a deposit of £31 at the time of purchase.
In January 1920 Francis Prosser was arrested in Abersychan for a serious wound he inflicted on Lewis Morgan. Apparently there was bad feeling among the families due to Francis’s daughter not being chosen as the organist at Saron Chapel where Mr Morgan’s son is the Sunday school superintendant.
Francis was taken to court, as the attack was so serious he was held in custody.
(full report in the Free Press.)
Mr Redvers Prosser of Canal House was involved in a cycle accident in September 1924 at the corner of the Carpenters Arms where he received severe bruising and shock, he is well know in Goytre as an active member of thee local football team.
For any comments or suggestions regarding this item please use the Contact tab at the top of the page.