Upper Woodlands

Upper Woodlands – 13 on 1841 Tithe Map.

The original owner was the Earl of Abergavenny

The first mention I can find is in 1771 when James Jones, a pauper of Woodland Cottage was buried at St Peter’s church.

A document that says it was late in the possession of Mary Frederick, a pauper, commonly called Mary James, widow; she was buried at St Peter’s on October 6th 1778

After Mary Frederick’s death the lease is held by William Jones for the lives of William 26, Vaughan 17 and Charles 15. William Jones still holds the lease on the 1821 Earl of Abergavenny survey.

Gwellian, daughter of William Jones married Henry Lewis on the 27th September 1822 and lived at Upper Woodlands.

The 1841 tithe says Henry Lewis,  on the  census of 1841 Henry is  50, Gwellian 45, their children are Ruth 15, Elizabeth 10 and Ann 2.

Ruth married John Hart in 1845 and they lived in John Rosser’s house (no. 11 on the 1841 tithe) which was very close to Upper Woodlands.

Henry and Gwellian are still at Upper Woodlands on the 1851 census, Henry is aged 60, a labourer born in Llantrissant and Gwellian is 59 and also living with them is their daughter Elizabeth aged 19.

There is a report in the Usk Observer in February 1859 in which Henry and Elizabeth are charged with trespass on the land of Henry Bird and fined 10s. The fine was paid by his employer Samuel Harris of Gwenffrwd factory.

On the 7th November 1859 Elizabeth married Robert Williams a widower aged 39 of Llanover; the witnesses were Richard Pruett and Elizabeth’s father, Henry Lewis.

By 1861 there was a new occupier, William Jones aged 28, born in Llanvair, his wife Mary Ann 22, who was born in Rhymney and their 4 months old son John born in Goytrey.

By 1871 this had changed once again to Rachel Davies as head of the household, she was maintained by her son Francis who was 28, born Goytrey, and her 12 year old granddaughter Margaret Wood.

On the 1881 census Walter Jones aged 65, a woodward, and Mary his wife 51 born in Scotland were living at Upper Woodlands. Walter Jones died in June 1900 aged 84 and was buried at Blaenavon.

The 1891 census gives John Williams 49, a woodman born Llanover and Mary his wife 42, married for 6 years and have 3 children, Alice, William and Ivor all born in Goytre.

By the census of 1921 the residents of Woodland Cottage is William Arthur James, William is 27, a coal miner at Viponds but out of work, Gladys his wife is 25, born in Varteg, they have two children Eveline 4, Ceredwn 2, William and the two children were born in Goytre.

Cill or Kiln Farm

Cill ( Kiln) Farm – 300 on the 1841 Tithe Map.

The 1798 land tax says John Hughes is the owner and William Phillips is the occupier, the parish records until 1801 also say the same.

William Phillips dies in 1808; he was buried at St Peter’s Church. After his death the new occupier is Thomas Jenkins.

The owner, John Hughes of The Reddings, Llangwm Isaf dies in 1807 leaving “all that messuage, tenement called Kiln House, barn, twelve closes of land, arable, and meadow to Mary his wife. (John Hughes also owned Parc Bach.) Mary Hughes is listed as the owner on the land tax until 1823.

In 1816 William Lloyd is living at Kiln he had a child called Martha who was baptised at St Peter’s Church she died aged two and was buried at St Peter’s in 1818.

Edward Edwards of Caerleon takes the lease of Kiln on August 2nd 1818 with William Lloyd still being the occupier.

In 1823 another child called Martha the daughter of William and Mary Lloyd, a farmer at Kiln farm, is baptised at St Peter’s Church.

William Lloyd and his family move to Church Farm in 1829.

The 1831 land tax for Kiln says William Morgan is occupying late Mary Hughes house, barn and land and the present owner is Rachel and Mary Mathews.

Another change has occurred by the 1841 tithe, the new owner of 17a and 26p, paying £2 13s 10d to the rector is Richard Seaforth.

John Meredith 35 and Susannah 50 are farming at Kiln on the 1841 census.

In 1847 William Williams takes the lease of both Kiln and Vedw (Vedw is now missing) on the 1851 census William Williams is 41

Lewis Edmunds (the local builder) writes in his diary on the 10th May 1855 that he is at Cill plastering inside and repairing outside for William Cocker.

At the spring assizes in 1859 is a court case Seamark v Williams, declarations are given by Richard Pruett and William Plaisted.

William Cocker is still the occupier in 1860 and is also overseer of the poor  he also voted for William Harris to be the highway overseer. On 1861 census William Cocker is 49, a farmer, his wife Mary is also 49.

There is a court case in the Usk Observer on the 22nd October 1864 where William Cocker claims 5/3d from Herbert Edwards a shoemaker of Goytre for goods obtained – Herbert Edwards was ordered to pay within a week.

Richard Seamark died in 1866, the new owner in 1870 is Robert Thomas.

An advert in the Free Press of 21st October 1876 says there is a stock and furniture sale, the property of Mr John Turner who is leaving Kiln Farm, some time before this date John Turner signs a petition to object to the removal of the quarter sessions from Usk to Newport.
The sale consists of implements, hay, straw, 9 tons of fodder, 5 tons of hay, wagons and carts, various agricultural implements, a mare in foal, ewes and poultry. Also household furniture including an oak table, chest of drawers, feather beds, 8 day clock, writing desk any many other items.

By 1879 John Davies is the new occupier  on the 1881 census he is aged 51, a farmer, Mary his wife is 50, both were born in Brecon, their children are William 25; John 17; Thomas 10 and Margaret 5, all born in Blaina. In 1882 Thomas received a school certificate for freehand drawing, science and art.

John Davies was summoned in 1883 by the board of  guardians for the non-attendance of school by his daughter Margaret Jane.

William Rosser takes the lease of Kiln in 1884 (previously held by Thomas Roberts of Great Oak Farm Tydee,) the farm now has  45a 3r 11p, the rent is £45.

Thomas Roberts decided to sell to Lady Llanover in 1887 and William Rosser was given notice to quit.

The new tenant under Lady Llanover was Daniel Davies from Carmarthen. He stayed until 1902 and at that time placed an advert in the Free Press for the sale of live and dead stock as he as leaving Kiln Farm.

David Jones becomes the new tenant,  on the 1911 census he is aged 70, a farmer from Cardigan, Margaretta his wife is 55, they have been married for 12 years and have 2 children, Margaret and John who attended Llanover school.

David Jones is still at Cil farm on the 1921 census, he is now 81 and still a farmer, Margaretta is now 66, their children, Margaret is 22 her employment is assisting on the farm, son John is 19 and is a plough and Waggoner on the farm.

On the register of 1939 living at Kiln farm is John I Jones, a farmer who was born on the 5th April 1902, his wife Margaret born on the 31st January 1899, Margaret is a dairy maid assisting on the farm, also living with them is Margaret A, who is said to be incapacitated by illness, she was born on the 13th November 1914.

Cae Susanna

Cae Susanna – 665 on the 1841 Tithe Map.

15 acres 15 roods 14 perches.

Tire Susanna, owned by the Earl of Abergavenny was mentioned in the Latin leases of 1673 when it was rented by Jacob Harris and lately of Watkin Treharne and pays 4s per annum.

The next mention in 1733 is Henry Bosville of Llanellen (also the owner of Goytre House) when he is renting Cae Susanna for 4s, this changed in 1792 when Edward Jones was renting about 18 acres of rough pasture.

In indenture 1792 for the lives of Dr Hobbs, physic of Monmouth aged 35, his wife Elizabeth 42, and William Morgan, son of William Morgan Llanover. Dr Hobbs was still renting Cae Susanna in 1821.

This had changed by 1829 to Elizabeth Lewis.

By 1861 Col Bird is now holding the lease number 87 for Cae Susanna. A house was built at some time but I don’t have any details.

On the 1891 census William Lewis is the tenant of Cae Susanna he is aged 60 and a general labourer and was born in Goytre. He stays there and again is the occupier in 1901 when he is a woodcutter. The electoral roll of 1905 says a dwelling house called Cae Susanna.

In 1920 the Earl of Abergavenny held a sale of property, Cae Susanna being included, in which it says the freehold land of the Duke of Connaught, 15a 1r 14p, rent 4s and tithe £1 3s 10d. It was sold to Edwin Edgar for £470.

Machine Cottage

Machine Cottage – Goytrey Wharf

Machine Cottage (now called Aqueduct) was built by Richard Pruett the local stonemason, who built his own house, The Woodlands at Pengroesoped. He was also the brother-in-law of James Rosser

I may be wrong but I think it was built to house the weighing machine when the coal merchant, William Williams lived at the Wharf.

On the census of 1891 William Prosser a 60 year old wood Sawyer from Brecon with his wife Maria 57 also from Brecon were living at Machine Cottage, shortly after moving to the wharf William Prosser was summoned for sending his children to school.

On the 1901 census 32 year old Emily Davies was living at Machine Cottage with her daughter Lilly.

It was occupied in 1911 by Francis Phillips and his family. Francis was aged 56, a GWR platelayer born at New Barn Farm Goytre, (the son of John Phillips and Ann Rosser) Mary his wife was born in Llangattock and their children Ivor 15, a waggoners boy, Amy Elizabeth 11, Edwin Sidney 9, and Ernest Fred 6 were all born in Llanover.

Francis James Phillips with his family, born 1855 New Barn Farm, son of John Phillips and Ann Rosser, died at Goytre Wharf 1833.

Francis Phillips was still living at Machine House on the 1921 census. He is now 66, a canal lengthsman Mary his wife is 57.Their sons Edgar is now 35 a colliery repairer at Blaenavon company but is out of work, Edwin is 19 a farm labourer for for Thomas Whitney, Ernest 17 has no occupation. Their daughter Louisa is 27 her occupation is home duties.

Mary Phillips died in Abergavenny aged 63 in  1927, she was buried in Llangattock church yard. Francis Phillips died in 1933, he was also buried with Louisa in Llangattock.

Rose Tree Cottage

Rose Tree Cottage (Upper Goytre or Top Road as I have always known it) – 369 on the 1841 Tithe Map.

Rose Cottage or Twyn-y-rhws was owned was the Earl of Abergavenny

On the 1821 Earl of Abergavenny’s survey Ann Lloyd was living at Rose Tree Cottage, by the 1841 tithe John Lloyd was the occupier of a cottage and garden containing 26 perches. On the 1841 census John was aged 70 and a Woodward, living with him were Mary 50 and Elizabeth 10.

There was a new occupier by 1851, Henry Edwards who was aged 67 (he was the son of Henry Edwards who was born in 1783, a miller born in the parish of Goytrey) he was a widower and living with him is his son-in-law John Walby aged 29 and his daughter Mary.

I cannot say with certainty who was living at Rose Cottage on the 1861 census, the enumerator was very vague when naming the houses and didn’t seems to follow the normal route, also part of the census is missing, so there is a gap until 1870.

An advert in the Free Press says Twyn-y-rhws is for sale and is to be offered at the Three Cranes Hotel in Pontypool; John Griffiths is the occupier, paying a yearly rent of £5. The purchaser was Thomas James.

On the 1871 census John Griffiths is aged 38, a merchant born in Llangors, Hester his wife is 34 and was born in Abergavenny.

By 1881 John Griffiths had left and William Morgan aged 29 a thatcher, Keturah his wife 27 and their three children, Flory 5, Kate 3, and Ann 1 were at Rose Cottage.

Rose Tree was sold again in 1889 by Thomas James (he had purchased Ty Cooke) to W T Cooke.

Jane Jones was at Rose Tree Cottage in 1891 but by 1894 George Roberts was on the electoral register.

Richard Rosser was the tenant in 1901, he was aged 31 a steel iron worker, born in Goytre, living with Keturah his wife aged 29 and their 3 children, Amy 4, William 3, and Rachel 1.

In 1911 Elizabeth Carpenter aged 42 a dressmaker, born in Hengoed and Rachel Jones 23, a newsagent were resident at Rose Tree.

Rose Tree Cottage was sold again in 1918 from Eborall Cooke to William Parsons of Gwael y garth Merthyr.

On the 1921 census John Litten is residing at Rose Cottage with his family, John is 42, born in Offwell Devon, he is a GWR signalman, his wife Marie Elizabeth is 37 born in Tredegar. Sons John and Frank (13) were born in Merthyr, John 15, a grocers assistant, Three more sons, Raymond 11, Ernest 4 and two year old Stanley were born in Goytre. Also visiting is William Parsons aged 70 from Aberdare, he is a retired signalman.

Cerrig Maurion

Penny Carreg Vaur or Pen-y-Carreg Vawr – 026 on the 1841 Tithe Map.

Containing 4a 3r 16p.view-from-cm-2

The first mention of this property I can find is a lease and settlement in 1776 on the marriage of Morgan Evan.

By 1817 the  owner is Job Herbert, he is paying land tax in 1821, the occupier at this time is John Davies

The 1841 tithe and census say John Davies is the occupier and Walter Herbert the owner. John Davies is 75 and a gardener, Margaret his wife is 65 (neither were born in Monmouthshire) and living with them is 6 years old Mary Jeremiah.

On the 1852 electoral register Walter Herbert is still the owner and he lives at Pontymoile.

In 1859 Thomas and Ann Davies (nee Cobner) have a child Thomas baptised, and on the 1861 census Thomas Davies was 29 a labourer and Ann was 26.

The following article was printed in the Free Press in February 1863

LARCENY BY A FEMALE SERVANT.- Adelaide Powell, a girl about sixteen years of age, was charged with having stolen £1, and one pair of boots, the money and property of her mistress, Mrs Ann Davies, of Goytrey ……. Prosecutor said that in September last the prisoner was in her employ, and on the 6th of that month had been sent to a shop in the neighbourhood for some goods, to pay for which she took a sovereign, and for the purpose of carrying them home had taken a bag.  The prisoner had not been to the shop where directed to go by her mistress, and never returned to her employment.   On the morning of the day in question, witness leant prisoner a pair of boots, with which she also absconded ……. Prisoner said she had accidentally lost the sovereign, which was entrusted to her by husband of witness, and that prosecutrix had given the boots to her ……. The Bench considered that there was no proof that the prisoner stole the sovereign, and for stealing the boots and the bag they should sentence her to one month’s hard labour.

In 1871 Thomas Davies was aged 39 and a farmer of 5a, Ann his wife was 36, both were born in Goytre, their children were Thomas 12, Elizabeth 7, Margaret 5, John 3, and  also living with them was Ann’s mother, Charlotte Cobner a pauper aged 75.

In 1876 another child was born, Sarah Ann, and two years later Ann, the wife of Thomas Davies a lime burner aged 44 was sent to the Abergavenny Asylum on the authorisation of Thomas Evans JP,  suffering from acute mania. The asylum record says she was feeble. She was discharged on the 13th July 1881 with the statement that her condition had not improved.

Shortly after the 1881 census Thomas Davies and his family move to nearby Ivy Cottage, (Ann his wife died in Abergavenny Asylum in 1903.)

There is a conveyance in 1885 from Elizabeth Fisher of Pontnewynydd and David Williams of Manachty Farm, Llanvihangel Pontymoile to Mary Grant of 4 Albert Avenue Maindee, for £132 10s for “all that messuage, cottage, tenement and 1a of arable meadow and pasture commonly called Penny Vaur or Pen-y-Carreg Vawr situated in the parish of Goytre,

In 1889 Albert Williams is registered on the electoral register as the occupier, he was born in Llanishen and lived there with his wife Hannah who was born in Llanover, their children were Mary, Sarah, Edith, and Annie.

On the 1901 census  Albert was aged 52, an iron worker, Hannah  54, Sarah 22 and a visitor called John Challenger aged 6 were registered at Cerrig Maurion.

On the 17th September 1909 an advert was placed in the Free Press for the sale of berrigmaurion“Berigmaurion”

Containing about 5a in the occupation of Mr Alfred Williams at the yearly rental of £10. The house contains a sitting room, kitchen-dairy, two bedrooms, out buildings and stables with lofts over, a beast house and pigs cot and about 2 miles from Blaenavon.

The property was sold to William Williams of Far Worthen, Llanover. The gross value was £4 10s; the rateable value was £4 3s.

Alfred Williams died in August 1913 aged 74 and was buried in Llanover Church.llanover

On the 1914 poor rate the owner of Cerrig Maurion is Mrs Williams and the occupier was John Lewis.

The wedding of William James Pitt and Mary Lilian Lewis, both of Cerrig Mawrion took place at St Peter’s Church on August 2 1920

The census of 1921 says John Charles Lewis is 48, he was born in Mamhilad,  his occupation is a colliery haulier, underground at Blaenavon Co Ltd., although it also says he is out of work. His wife, Alice Matilda is 48, Alice was born in Monkswood, living with them are three children, Florence Rose 17, Annie Elizabeth 13 and son William who is 7.

Florence Rose Lewis married Alfred James Harold Ball on June 16 1924 at St Peter’s Church Goytrey, Alfred was a dairyman of Yew Tree Farm Goytrey.

In August 1927 Annie, the daughter of John Lewis married Francis Jones, he was the 4th son of Amos Jones of Clytha.

 

 

Park-y-brain

Park-y-brain – 421 on the 1841 Tithe Map.

park-y-brain-2

Owner Capel Hanbury Leigh.

In 1754 William Jeremiah was overseer of the poor and in 1756 Walter Griffiths was the occupier and overseer of the poor, his daughter Ann married Morgan Jenkins in St Peter’s the same year.

Park-y-brain was sublet several times over the years. A document in 1768 says Richard Davies of Court-y-Gollen is the leaseholder “of all that messuage or tenement or farm commonly called TUY or Tyr Park-y-brain situated in several parishes of Goytrey and Mamhilad in the occupation of Edmund Gibbon or his undertenants”.

Walter Griffith remains at Park-y-brain and is mentioned several times in the parish records as being overseer of the poor.

In 1794 his wife Mary died and was buried in St Peter’s churchyard, the final mention of Walter Griffiths is in 1802 as an overseer of the poor prior to his death in 1804.

In 1802 Richard Jones pays the poor rate for the first time for Capel Leigh’s Park-y-brain. Again in 1802, Capel Leigh has been threatened with a court order if he does not let the canal deviate through his land, he then agrees.

In 1815 Richard Jones becomes one of the trustees for the lease of Chapel Ed ( I have read that his initials are carved into the pulpit chair at Chapel Ed.) Over the coming years Richard Jones was a stalwart of Chapel Ed during the early decades, surveyor of the highways for the parish, paid his land tax, and was also an overseer of the poor.

In 1841 he was 85 and a farmer of 59a 3r 18p, paying £6 9s to the rector for his 1841 tithe, Mary, his wife was 70, and son Walter was 30.

In 1845 the lease for Chapel Ed was transferred from Richard Jones (I don’t know who to).

Richard died in 1849, in his will his son William, a woodward living in Pontymoile, and David Thomas of the same parish were his executors. He instructs them to sell his live and dead stock, also all his household goods and chattels unless Mary his wife wishes to keep some items, providing his executors agree to her request, she is also to receive 5s per week, all further monies to be in security.

After Mary’s death to be shared between his children William, Thomas (of Trevethin), Walter (Goytre), Ann (now Jenkins), Mary (now Jenkins), and Sarah.

Also to William he leaves his freehold messuage in Llanhilleth, now in the occupation of widow Morgan.

Mary, Richard’s wife, moved to Chapel Ed cottages after his death.

By 1850 William Jeremiah had taken the lease of Park-y-brain. He was the collector of taxes for Park-y-brain and an elder of Chapel Ed.

On the 1851 census for Park-y-brain, William Jeremiah is aged 73, born in Mamhilad, a retired farmer and Martha his wife is aged 68. By 1861 William and Martha had moved to Goytre Yard (Wharf).

In 1854 William Lewis was paying the tithe for Park-y-brain to the rector, the Rev Thomas Evans. This had changed by 1856 as William Williams of the Wharf was the new occupier. He was also a signatory to the 1859 petition against the paying of taxes to widen Newport bridge.

The entry for Park-y-brain is missing on the 1861 census, but by 1862 Edward Charles is the new occupier. He is also overseer of the poor and paying land tax, it says on the 1871 census he is aged 66, a farmer of 100a, and Mary his wife is 47, from Hereford.

Edward Charles died somewhere between 1871 and 1881 and Mary Charles was listed as a 56 year old widow on the 1881 census, farming 100a, employing 2 men along with her son Joseph, 22. There is a notice in the Free Press dated the 21st October 1881 for a farm sale by the executors of the late Edward Charles.

Edward’s son William is now in control of the farm and he was aged 37 in 1891, and  born in Llanfrechfa Lower. He is married to Elizabeth and their children are Mary 10, born Glascoed, Henry 8, William 7, and Isaac 2, all born in Goytre. Their servants are 19 year old Margaret Meredith, Aaron Jayne 40 is a farm servant along with Sidney Meredith 17 who is a general servant.

Ten years later in the census of 1901 William is aged 48, a widower, farming Park-y-brain, his children are Laura 20, Edward 18, William 16 and Isaac 12. Margaret Meredith is still the domestic servant, now aged 30 and born in Mitchel Troy.

In 1909 David Thomas of Goytre was fined 10s for setting snares on Park-y-brain land in the occupation of William Charles.

Also in 1909 is the story (In the Free Press) of the badger caught on the road by Park-y-brain.

Hanbury Park is listed as the owner of Park-y-brain in 1910, containing 72a, gross value is £13 15s and the rateable value is £12.

On the electoral register of 1920 are mentioned William Charles, Henry William Charles, and Henry Edward Charles.

On the 1921 census William H Charles is 70, a farmer born in Llanfrechfa, his son Edward is 38 and helping his father on the farm, Edward was born in Goytre,  living with them is 48 year old Charles Thomas from Abergavenny, a general farm labourer.

William Charles is aged 59 in 1922, and living with him is his son Edward who is 27. Working on the farm, William is 25 and it says dairy and dealer, and Margaret Meredith is still their housekeeper.

Edward Charles was fined in January 1929 for allowing his pigs to stray on the highway. Again in 1932 is the “Tale of a Horse,” court case (see Free Press, September 1932 article).

James Williams, a labourer of Park-y-brain was found drowned in the canal in 1934.

Then in January 1940 is this wonderful photograph of Henry William Charles aged 90.

 

 

 

 

 

Bridge

Bridge – 480 on the 1841 Tithe Map.

According to the 1841 tithe and census, Bridge was owned and occupied by William Jenkins, a farmer aged 45, Mary his wife also aged 45, and children Mary 12, Thomas 6, and Daniel Oates aged 8.

In 1850 William Jenkins is a collector of land tax and in 1851 he was overseer of the poor saying he lived by canal bridge number 83.

He was farming 19 acres in 1851 aged 61.

The 1861 census is missing for the part of the parish that included Bridge. By 1871 Ann Watkins 58, a widow, was now at Bridge along with Sarah Jenkins 64, also a widow, and two lodgers William Waters 40, a labourer, and William Harris 50, a woolshaver.

At some time between 1871 and 1881 the Hewlett family moved into Bridge, Richard is aged 26 and a farmer of 26 acres and born in Glamorgan, Sarah his wife is 25, born in Llangwm,  their children are Alice 2 and Arthur 6 months both born in Goytre, also living with them is Alice Jenkins 60, his mother- in-law, Adelaide Jenkins 23, his sister-in-law, and Sidney Jenkins 12, his brother-in-law.

By 1901 Edward Owen, a shoemaker had moved into Bridge, he was aged 58 and came from Blaenavon, his wife Harriet was 55, born in Pontypool.

On the 1921 census David John Williams is in residence with his family, David is 35, a green grocer on his own account, he was born in Tintern, his 33 year old wife Margaret from Pontymoile and their seven year old son, Reginald born in Mamhilad.

Very sadly in 1921, 8 years old Reggie Williams, son of David, died and was buried at St Peter’s.

The last entry is for Oswald Court aged 61, with his wife Ruth (nee Rosser) living at Bridge.

The 1939 register says Arthur Williams, a timer feller, his wife Louise Florence and Ruth Court living at Bridge, Arthur was born on the 2nd September 1904. Louise on the 6th September 1905 and Ruth Court was born on the 24th February 1877.

Castle Bach

Castle Bach – 411 on the 1841 Tithe Map.

The owner of Castle Bach was the Earl of Abergavenny, it’s position was in a field of Old Castle Cottage.

The first lease I can locate seems to be that of John Valentine. On the 3rd April 1756 twin daughters of John, Elizabeth and Ann were baptised at St Peter’s, and on the 3rd October 1759 a son, John, was baptised.

(A right of settlement in the parish of Goytre was granted to Francis Valentine, this I believe to be John’s brother, he earned his right by serving for 1 year to Walter Williams Pentoyn: he married Francis Charles of Goytre and had 8 children.)

A lease in 1778 says for the lives of John Valentine 60, Elizabeth 26, and Ann 20.

In 1785 Ann Valentine married Richard Williams, a widower, and in 1799 John Valentine sold his lease to Thomas Lewis for £5 – a cottage and garden.

John Valentine was buried at St Peter’s on 13th April 1801, his son-in-law Richard Williams was buried at St Peter’s on 11th June 1815 aged 95.

Castle Bach appears to be missing on the 1841 census but in 1851 John Owen the attorney (living Oak Cottage) took the lease and the tenant was John Watkins, a widower, who died in 1856 and was buried at Mamhilad.

In 1852 a William Owen of Castle Bach signed a lease against paying taxes for the widening of Newport Bridge.

By 1920 Castle Bach no longer appeared on a map but it’s position was where number 11 is on the map.

Parc Bach

Parc Bach – 339 on the 1841 Tithe Map.

Owner: the Earl of Abergavenny.

PBIn 1780 Morgan Evan was the overseer of the poor for Parc Bach, he married Ann Bevan in 1763.

The will of John Hughes in 1807 leaves his leasehold property in Goytre comprising of a messuage, tenement, barn, six closes or parcels of land situate in the parish of Goytre called Park Bach, also that parcel of land called Caer Bushes, (now in the occupation of Thomas Jenkins,) to his wife Mary Hughes.

The 1841 census says William Lewis aged 60, William Morgan 35, Elizabeth Morgan 35 and Eliza Morgan 5 are living at Parc Bach and the owner on the tithe is the Earl of Abergavenny.

By the 1851 census Luke Griffiths aged 40, a farmer born in Langview, and his 80 year old mother born in Llandenny are living at Parc Bach.

On the 1861 census, Charles Watkins aged 43 and his wife Elizabeth 47, and children Elizabeth and Margaret twins aged 9, Charles 5, John 3, and Thomas 2 are now at Parc Bach and they continue to live there until after the 1881 census.

In 1901 Louis Morgan aged 35, farmer, Hannah his wife 34 and born in Bristol, and children Benjamin 9, Millicent, Gladys and Clifford, all born Goytre were living at Parc Bach.

By 1906 William Jones had become the tenant and placed an advert in the Free Press:

Lost – 2 ewe lambs each with 2 punch crop ears -Jones Park Bach.

A 1908 sale catalogue says William Jones is the tenant of Parc Bach paying £22 per year rent and farming 13 acres 3 rood and 3 perches. Three years later in the 1911 census, William Jones is a dairyman aged 39, Annie his wife is 39, their children are Maud 13, Harry 11, Ellin 8, Gertrude 5, Arthur 3 and William 1, all born in Goytre.

In 1920 the Earl of Abergavenny finally sold Parc Bach, it was purchased by Henry Morgan for £90, the estimate being £45. A piece of pasture land known as Parc Bach containing 3a 18p in occupation of H Gwatkin was purchased by Rufus Evans for £115.

The 1921 census gives Herbert William Gwatkin in residence, he is a 39 year old farmer born in Goytre, His wife Annie is 37 she was born in Vowchurch Hereford. Their children are Amy 12 born in Stoke Prior, Elsie 11 born in Bodenham, they two youngest children, Gwyneth 9 and Reginald 6 were born in Goytre.

On the electoral register for Park Bach in 1923 are Herbert Gwatkin, Annie and Elsie.